Monday, July 7, 2008

Pray and you shall get a job in Kelantan

This entry is in response to Malaysiakini report, Pray and you shall get a state job in Kelantan.

As stated in the report, I find it not only controversial but nonsensical. That too coming from a man who has immense knowledge on Islam and Syariah law.

I do not agree with this notion simply because job performance cannot be assessed by the number of times my Muslim brothers and sisters pray. It is simply based on what is also known as key performance index and scheduled internal assessments.

My second point would be on the human - Allah relations. I understand that this attempt by Tok Guru Nik Aziz is a way to call the ummah to be closer to Allah. However how is the Kelantan adminsitration going to monitor every single Muslim men in the state government machinery while they are in prayer.

At the end of the day, only the individual concerned can decide the level of his/her relationship with Allah.

P.S. I used the term Allah because I understand that it is equivalent to GOd in Arabic and because majority of the Kelantan state government staff are Muslims.

No comments: