Monday, September 14, 2009

63rd MIC AGM

Sept 13 and 14 2009 would be forever hatched in my mind as I covered the first party elections as a journalist. It was the MIC elections.

The first thing that struck me as I entered the hall in PWTC is the large number of beautiful women who were clearly lobbying delegates to vote in favor of deputy presidential candidate S Subramaniam.

The party itself is 63 years hence I was surprised to see MIC president S Samy Vellu playing the role akin to a teacher as he personally ensured that no one apart from delegates were in the hall after Prime Minister Naji Razak officially opened the the party’s annual general assembly.
I mean, for a president who leads a 63 years old party it definitely says a lot about the type of members that the party have.

An observation that I made on day two revealed that grass root leaders are unaware of national issues and vice versa.
Similarly I also found out that certain grass root leaders are unaware of what is happening in their localities. This is something detrimental that needs to be arrested immediately if MIC is ever interested of achieving their KPI which is regaining the Indian community support.



I also had a chat with deputy Puteri MIC chief, Mrs Shaila Nair Vell Paari (see above with husband, S Vel Paari) who comes across as a friendly person.

She promoted her event management company as the company to contact if I were to settle down.
In response I told her that as a Puteri MIC she should organise Cupid Club a la MCA so that I can meet someone as I am currently single, available and not having much time to spare.

No comments: